FARM HISTORY


Kaupanger is the name of the parish under the main church in Sogndal. Findings from the younger Stone Age, tombs from the Iron Age, and even å rune stone from about 600 (“The archer is buried here”) indicate that settlements around Amble Bay are ancient. The present stave church in Kaupanger was built about 1190 and remnants of two older churches are found under this building. The name Amble (originally “Anbladir”) is of great Age, and is interpreted as two opposite leaves (the shape of the bay) and the name Kaupanger means a marketplace and derives from the Viking Age. The forest in Kaupanger and Amble are among he best forests in Western Norway. The wood was used for boats, house building and for production of tar and coal. The hydro-powered sawmills were introduced in Norway ca 1550. The commercial value of the forest increased.  In 1586 Amble was bought by Bent Guttormsønn and Euphemia Andersdatter and their descendants run sawmills here til about 1650. In 1690 Gert Heiberg and his wife Sophia Christensdatter bought a part of the farm. They built the main house, which is still in use. Their daughter Mette Marie and her husband Michael Falch bought two more farms, and that is the Amble Gaard today. Amble gaard has been in the Heiberg family since then. Ingebjørg and Gjert are the seventh generations of owners since Gert Heiberg in 1690. The farm has been run with several activities. The forest was most important. But there has also been nursery and milk farm and other tings. From 1650 there also were several crofter farms. The farmers paid their rent by working on the main farm. From ca 1950 7 small farms were sold to the farmers. Ingebjørg and Gjert started to rent summer houses in 1995. Today is 7 houses with 53 beds.

The museums

Hans Knagenhjelm Heiberg (1832-1897) took over the farm in 1850 and started to collect the same year. He started with collections of family pictures and memory pieces from the family. Buy also other tings were collected as minerals, plants and books. Everything was placed in the main house. His son Gert Heiberg (1871-1944) continued his father’s collection, but he extended the interests. In 1905 he erected the museum building that still exists by the entrance of the farm. He started to collect pieces from handicraft and agriculture. In 1909 he gave away his collection to a historic society. In 1984 the big museum was moved from the farm to Vestreim nearer Sogndal. We still have the old museum that Hans Heiberg collected in the building from 1905.

Read more about the museum on their homepage De Heibergske Samlinger – Sogn Folkemuseum.

© Copyright - Designed by Pexeto